Do I need to provide anything else with my application?
You must provide two forms of identification to confirm the identity of the data subject, one which confirms their identity and one which confirms their current address.
Please provide one document from each of the lists below.
Acceptable proof of identity (scanned or photocopies are only required):
- Current passport
- Unexpired photo card driving licence (full or provisional)
- Bus pass with photo
- Birth certificate (if none of the above are available)
Acceptable proof current address (scanned or photocopies are only required):
- Utility bill dated within the last three months
- Council Tax bill for current year
- Unexpired old style paper driving licence
- Bank statement dated within the last three months
- Benefits agency/state pension correspondence (on letterhead) dated within the last three months
If you are a representative applying on behalf of the data subject, you must provide their written consent. In certain circumstances you may also be required to provide two forms of identification shown above which confirm your identity and current address.
Please note: We will not process or release any information to you until we have received the above documents to prove identity and address.
Requesting information on behalf of a third party
We will ask for proof of your authority to act for a third party if you are making a request on their behalf (for example proof of power of attorney, or proof of parental responsibility).
Children are generally considered competent to make a subject access request at age 12 or over.
We will require proof of parental responsibility before disclosing any information.
How much do I have to pay?
There is no charge for you to access information about yourself.
If the Council deems that the request is obviously unfounded or excessive we reserve the right to charge a fee for the administrative costs of complying with the request. We may also charge a fee if an individual requests further copies of their data following a request.
If I apply in writing, where do I send the completed form to?
You can email the completed form and any relevant documentation to support your application to email@example.com
Alternatively, you can post them to:
Warrington Borough Council
Subject Access Requests
Contact Warrington East Annexe
How long will it take to get my records?
- The regulations require the council to provide you with a copy of your information within one month of receiving your valid request. However if your request is complex we are allowed to extend this by two months and we will tell you if this is the case.
- If you apply to another organisation for access to your records they may have different timescales in which to give you the information
Why has some information been blocked out?
There are several reasons why some information may be blocked out (redacted), for example it may refer to someone other than yourself: so this will not be part of your personal information.
Why have you not given me any information?
There are occasions when we do not have the personal information you ask for. This could be for a number of reasons, for example no information about you could be found - because the records are no longer held. If we do not have the information we will let you know.