The Data Protection legislation gives individuals a right to find out what information is held about them. It governs how we collect, use and process personal information. The legislation gives you the right to ensure our records are correct and up to date and to have them corrected if necessary.

What rights do I have?

  • To be told what information we hold about you, both in paper and electronically.
  • To be told what we're using the information for.
  • For processing to be stopped if you believe the processing will cause you damage or distress.
  • Not have your information used for direct marketing.

Please be aware of our obligations under the National Fraud Initiative (NFI).

What types of information can I request?

You can gain access to the following information (list is not exhaustive):

  • Social Care Records (Adults and Children)
  • Educational Records
  • Council Tax Information

How can I find out what information is held about me?

You must make your request in writing, you can send us a letter or an e-mail. Someone else can make a request on your behalf only if we have your permission in writing.

To help us find the information we hold we will need:

  • Your full name and date of birth
  • Your address and previous addresses (if applicable)
  • Details of any services within Warrington Borough Council with whom you have had dealings.
  • If you can provide us with details of any reference numbers or names of staff that you have had contact with this will help us find all the information we have

To apply you need to complete this Subject Access Request form.

Do I need to provide anything else with my application?

You must provide two forms of identification to confirm the identity of the data subject, one which confirms their identity and one which confirms their current address.

Please provide one document from each of the lists below.

Acceptable proof of identity (scanned or photocopies are only required):

  • Current passport
  • Unexpired photo card driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Bus pass with photo
  • Birth certificate (if none of the above are available)

Acceptable proof current address (scanned or photocopies are only required):

  • Utility bill dated within the last three months
  • Council Tax bill for current year
  • Unexpired old style paper driving licence
  • Bank statement dated within the last three months
  • Benefits agency/state pension correspondence (on letterhead) dated within the last three months

If you are a representative applying on behalf of the data subject, you must provide their written consent. In certain circumstances you may also be required to provide two forms of identification shown above which confirm your identity and current address.

Please note: We will not process or release any information to you until we have received the above documents to prove identity and address.

How much do I have to pay?

There is no charge for you to access information about yourself.

If the Council deems that the request is obviously unfounded or excessive we reserve the right to charge a fee for the administrative costs of complying with the request. We may also charge a fee if an individual requests further copies of their data following a request.

Where do I send the completed form to? 

You can email the completed form and any relevant documentation to support your application to 

Alternatively, you can post them to:

Warrington Borough Council
Subject Access Requests
Contact Warrington East Annexe
Town Hall
Sankey Street