If you've started building work before notifying us, the work is unauthorised and could be unsafe. You need to regularise the work by telling us about it. You can do this online.

We'll check the work conforms to the building regulations and may ask for certain parts of the work to be opened up for inspection and show us as-built plans. We may also need the works to be altered to comply with building regulations.

Once we're satisfied the works are to standard we'll issue a regularisation certificate. This certificate proves the work is safe and complies with the building regulations.

Regularisation only applies to work which started on or after 11 November 1985. Acceptance of an application and the requirements under 13A is without prejudice to the powers of this Authority under Section 36 of the Building Act 1984.

Building Work

It's illegal to not tell us about building work and you should apply for building regulation approval before your works start.

If you've started without applying we may still be able to give you approval - you need to tell us straight away and pay the regularisation fee.

If you start work and don't tell us you might have to stop the works, make changes or pay a fine.


You will need to pay a fee for regularisation, the fee varies between works.

You'll need to tell us:

  • Your name and address
  • Agent (if applicable)
  • Location of work
  • Details of plan - If you have plans of the building works please include them (You can upload a file)
  • Details of completed works
  • Type of building work
  • Builder details
  • Planning reference number (if planning permission was needed)

The plans could include:

  • A site or location plan to a metric scale showing the work in relation to buildings, boundaries and street.
  • A plan to a metric scale, showing floor plans, sections, elevations and any necessary details of the work.

If you don't submit plans at this stage we may request them and if they're needed to comply with the Building Regulations it may delay your regularisation certificate.

Once you've sent us a regularisation request, we'll send you a link in your receipt to arrange a site visit from one of building control team.

Request a quote

Apply for a regularisation certificate

We are not required to accept an application or to issue a certificate.

Contact Building Control

If you need to contact the Planning team, please visit the Planning section of our website we cannot reply to questions for the Planning team.

You can contact our Building Control team by sending us a message or calling us, our offices are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

You can call the Building Control team on 01925 442554

Planning questions

Our Building Control team cannot reply to planning questions you'll need to get in touch with our Planning team. Please visit the Planning section of our website.

The information that you provide will only be used for the purpose of responding to the matter that you have contacted us about. The information will not be shared on or used for any other purposes other than dealing with your query.

For more information on how your data will be used please see our Privacy Policy