Premises Approval for Marriage or Civil Ceremonies, you need a licence to hold a civil ceremony or wedding.

Who can apply?

You must be the owner of the premises. You must apply online or in writing, and give details such as your name and address, a plan of the room where the ceremonies will hold and other information required.

How to apply

To get a licence, you must submit your application with all the information required and your premises must be considered suitable. However, your application may still be refused if there are too many approved premises in the area for the registrars to attend.

You will need to make a new application if you need to transfer or change your licence.


Please email for an application form.

After we receive your application

Your application and plan will be made available to the public for inspection and public notice of the application will be put in a local newspaper as part of a public consultation process.

The Registrar General may issue guidance to the council to assist us in making a decision.


The application fee for an approved premises licence is £1,155.00


To appeal against a failed application, please contact the council in the first instance.

You have the right to seek a review of the council’s refusal to grant your application.

You must deliver your request for review to the proper officer of the local authority, accompanied by any requested fee.

To appeal against a licence holder, please contact the council in the first instance.

You have the right to seek a review of the council’s conditions, refusal to renew or withdrawal of approval.

You must let the council know of any request for review, and pay any requested fee.

If you object to an application for premises approval you may give notice to the council within 21 days of the notice of application appearing in the local newspaper.


If you have any complaints, we advise that you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, and you live in the UK, Advice Guide will help. If you’re outside the UK, contact the UK European consumer centre.