When thinking about renting a property, there are lots of things to consider to choose the right home for you.

Finding a home to rent

  • Under One Roof has a list of Registered Providers (formally Housing Associations).
  • Private Sector Service Access Scheme is open to Warrington residents aged 18 years and over.
  • Verve Place provide temporary accommodation specifically designed for young people aged between 16 and 25 years.
  • Warrington Women’s Aid provide emergency accommodation for women fleeing domestic violence.
  • James Lee House provide accommodation for single men aged 18 years and over.
  • The government has a checklist for renting in England.

Gas safety and energy performance 

Prospective tenants should visit the property before renting it and ask to see the gas safety certificate if relevant, and the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property.  Both are legal requirements – landlords must have a gas safety check on all gas appliances and installations and must have a current EPC, which gives an indication of the efficiency of the property. 

Fire safety

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service has handy tips on how to keep your home safe from fire.

Deposit protection 

If your landlord is asking for a deposit, check that it will be protected in a government approved scheme.  Some schemes hold the money, and some insure it.

Landlord accreditation 

Check if the property and landlord accredited under the Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme.

Tenancy agreements

A tenancy agreement is a contract between you and a landlord.

It lets you live in a property as long as you pay rent and follow the rules. It also sets out the legal terms and conditions of your tenancy. 

A tenancy can either be:

  • fixed-term (running for a set period of time)
  • periodic (running on a week-by-week or month-by-month basis)

Additional financial support

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, you may get help with all or part of your rent. If you are renting from a private landlord you will receive up to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate to cover or help with the cost of rent.