You need a club premises certificate to be able to supply alcohol and regulated entertainment.

Who can apply?

You must be a qualifying club.

To get a certificate, your club must make sure that:

  • new members wait at least two days from their application to get membership benefits
  • membership is established and conducted in good faith
  • your club has at least 25 members
  • alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf of or by the club

There are additional conditions attached to the supply of alcohol:

  • only club members who are over 18 can be nominated to buy or serve alcohol
  • there must be no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from buying or selling alcohol

Registered industrial, provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if alcohol is bought and sold by the club under the control of the members or a committee of members.

How to apply

A club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises they use regularly.

Applications should be submitted with a plan of the premises, a copy of the rules of the club and a club operating schedule. 

Apply for a new application (GOV.UK)

Apply for a variation to a club premises certificate (GOV.UK)

Apply for a change of details or club rules (GOV.UK)

Apply for a minor variation (GOV.UK)

Download council application forms and guidance

Please send council forms to

Copy/replacement certificate

Application to vary a club premises certificate

Notice of surrender of a club premises certificate

Application for a minor variation to a club licence

A club operating schedule is a document which has specific information on:

  • the activities of the club
  • the times the activities are to take place
  • other opening times
  • alcohol consumption on and off the premises
  • how the club intends to promote the licensing objectives
Fees and charges


A (£0 - £4,300) £100
B (£4,301 - £33,000) £190
C (£33,001 - £87,000) £315
D (£87,001 - £125,000) £450
E (£125,001 or over) £365

Complete licensing act fees:

After we receive your applications

If a club's name, address or rules change at any point, the club secretary must inform the council.

If a club applies to the council to vary its certificate, the certificate must be sent along with the application.

The council may inspect the premises before an application is considered.

Fees may be payable for any type of application relating to a club premises certificate.


You can appeal if:

  • you're refused a certificate or a variation of a certificate
  • you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your certificate or an exclusion of any club activity
  • you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate

If you're planning to appeal, please contact us in the first instance. Appeals to the local magistrates' court can then be made within 21 days of our decision.


If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise for that person to contact you directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.

Anyone living near the club premises or involved in a business near the area can challenge a club's application for a certificate or amendments to a certificate by emailing

If that happens, a hearing will be held to consider the application and the objections raised. The council will then detail the reasons for any decision made. Those who made the objections can appeal against the decision.

22 September 2023