You may need to contact the council and use services differently as part of our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please visit our Coronavirus in Warrington pages to find out which services are affected.
Doorstep crime awareness
Always be careful when answering your door to someone you don't know. Sometimes people can come to your door wanting to get inside your home. They may tell you that:
- your house needs to be repaired
- they will tarmac your driveway
- trees need cutting
- they are from the council or water company and need to check something inside your property
These bogus callers can be male, female, old or young, and may be on their own or in a group. If you think you've been approached or have been a victim of a bogus caller please contact us on 03454 040506. If you feel threatened then call Cheshire Police on 101.
To keep safe:
- Fix a security chain or spyhole to your door and use it whenever anyone knocks
- If you feel unsure about the caller - don't answer the door
- If you feel unsure after speaking to the person at the door - say ‘no thanks’, and close it
- Never go to the bank or building society with a caller or workman
- Pension early release scams
- Investment scams
- social media subscription traps or free trial scams
- lottery / prize drawn or inheritance scams
- copycat government official services – passport and DVLA
- council tax rebanding scams
How you can tackle scams
- Get advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service.
- Report scams and suspected scams to Action Fraud. Action Fraud is the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and internet crime.
- Tell family, friends, neighbours so that they can avoid scams.
Cut down unwanted contacts
- Register your number with the Telephone Preference Service
- Report unsolicited marketing calls to the Information Commissioner’s Office
- Use a product to block telephone calls like TrueCall or CallBlocker.
- The Mailing Preference Service is free and may help reduce unsolicited mail
- Report a potential postal scam to Royal Mail by emailing email@example.com
- Opt out of receiving door to door unaddressed mail delivered by Royal Mail
- Opt out of deliveries from unaddressed mail distributors by registering with the ‘Your Choice’ preference scheme.