Support to manage your finances

Warrington Borough Council provides support to people who need help with managing their finances. To be eligible for support you must meet certain criteria and lack mental capacity to make decisions about your finances.

What support is available?

Depending on your circumstances we may be able to be appointed as an Appointee or a Deputy to help you manage your finances. The Financial Protection Team provides this support to vulnerable adults across Warrington.

Before deciding if this is the right choice, you will have a needs assessment. Your social worker will discuss the options with you and make a referral if it is appropriate and in your best interest.


You may be able to use an Appointeeship if you claim benefits.

Court of Protection – Deputyship

If your savings and assets are valued at over £23,250 an officer in the Financial Protection Team would be made Deputy of the Court and act on your behalf under the supervision of the Court.

Our Responsibilities:

If we are appointed you will have a named case worker who will work with your care manager and you to manage your money. 

They will help to:

  • set up appropriate banking arrangements
  • draw up a budget
  • pay your bills
  • plan for future spend, such as holidays or furniture
  • make sure you have enough money for day-to-day needs
  • monitor your money
  • deal with benefits payments


For both the Appointeeship and Deputyship there is a charge for these services.

Appointeeship charges from 1 April 2024 are:

  • £9.00 per week for residential and nursing care service users
  • £13.00 per week for community based service users

The Court of Protection sets out the charges for Deputyship.

You can access more information on these charges at

Please note:- There are fixed costs which the Local Authority charge and there are also additional charges applied by the Court of Protection.

  • £300.00 when a client passes away and final account closure arrangements are made

Contact us

If you think an Appointeeship or Deputyship would be appropriate for you or someone you care for please contact your social worker who will discuss your options with you.

10 April 2024