In order to remain stronger for longer and to continue to enjoy a good quality of life with meaning, purpose and a sense of belonging, we need to remember to:
- Exercise for 150 minutes a week, such as brisk walking or cycling. Aim to do strengthening exercises at least twice a week, such as heavy gardening, carry heavy shopping or resistance training
- Stay connected so we do not become isolated
- Plan ahead so give financial security for the added years
- Maintain meaning and purpose, perhaps through supporting others
- Stay resilient, keep learning and build cognitive reserves by stimulating our brains
Extra support for the elderly
As we get older, health risks can increase. Always attend appointments if you are invited for a health check and keep up to date with screening tests and vaccines. The My Life Warrington website has a healthy ageing section which details the top 11 tips to ageing well.