If you are from Hong Kong and a British National (Overseas), you and your family members can apply for a British National (overseas) visa (BNO visa). It allows you to live, work and study in the UK.
You are able to apply to enter or stay in the UK for a period of 30 months (which you can extend by a further 30 months) or a period of five years. You are able to apply from outside or inside the UK.
You are able to apply for settlement after five years if you meet the requirements, and British Citizenship 12 months after settlement.
You can find more information about applying for the visa on the government webpages. The government has also produced an online Welcome Pack for all BN (O) status holders with information, translated into Cantonese, on how to access services and understand life in the UK.
Help and support
In order to help us to help you, we would be grateful if you could complete this short survey so we can make sure you are able to access useful advice and support when you need it.
- Bernardos Boloh Helpline Support for Hong Kong BN(O) | BAME Helpline (barnardos.org.uk)
- Hongkongers in Britain Hongkongers in Britain | 英國港僑協會
- Protection Approaches – specifically for hate crime reporting Hate crime (protectionapproaches.org)
- CHAWREC Cheshire Halton & Warrington Race & Equality Centre
- Wai Yin Society Wai Yin Society | Serving the community since 1988
Welcome to Warrington
We have put together some resources that may be useful to you as a new arrival from Hong Kong, relocating to Warrington. Please check carefully to make sure these are relevant to you and what you need, and please seek further help and advice if you are unsure.