What is a property inspection?

When you make an application to the UK Border Agency for entry clearance into the United Kingdom, you may be asked to get an independent assessment of the number of rooms and occupants for the proposed accommodation.

The housing team of the council can provide this documentation. However, as it is not a legal requirement for the council to carry out this function, the applicant will have to pay a fee of £100.12

A property assessment is required to ensure the property is safe, in a good state of repair and doesn't pose a health and safety risk. It will also assess whether the property would become overcrowded if any more people were to move in. If the property meets the required standards then we will issue a confirmation letter which can be used as part of a visa application.

When completing the property inspection the following standards are required:

  • The property is safe, in a good state of repair and doesn't pose a health and safety risk
  • The property has adequate kitchen and bathroom facilities (shared facilities with another family is not acceptable)
  • The property is owned or occupied exclusively by the sponsor/sponsor's family (the property is not suitable, if it is shared with members of another family)   
  • The property if rented has a copy of a current gas safety certificate and Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR) (your landlord should provide a copy to you every 12 months for gas and 5 years for EICR)
  • The property has a sufficient number of rooms of adequate sizes so that an assessment can be made on whether or not the property will become overcrowded if more people were to move in. 

What can you do? 

To apply for an inspection you should have information for:

  • Yourself (sponsor) including contact details
  • The person(s) entering the UK including name, age, address and relationship to the sponsor
  • The property they intend to live in, including full address.  If rented, details of the landlord and a copy of the current gas safety certificate and EICR.

Once the inspection has been undertaken the sponsor should include the confirmation letter as part of the visa application to the UK Border Agency.

What can we do?  

Once we have received the application form we will contact you to arrange a date and time for the inspection.

Following payment (required prior to inspection) a confirmation letter will be sent to the sponsor which will state:

  • The name(s) of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK
  • The address of the property inspected
  • Who owns, and who occupies the property
  • How the property is occupied, and by whom
  • Whether the property provided a safe and healthy environment for a potential occupier or visitor at the time of our inspection
  • Whether the property would be statutorily overcrowded by the addition of the person seeking entry to the UK
  • The name of the officer to contact for further information.

The completed application form and all information should be sent to the below address or emailed using privatesector@warrington.gov.uk  address in advance of the inspection or have them ready to hand to me at the time of inspection. The inspection report can only be issued to you when payment and all relevant information has been received and cleared.

Postal address

Housing Standards & Assistance
The Gateway
85 – 101 Sankey Street

Bank details


Account no: 03361969

Sort Code: 01-09-17

The reference on the bank transfer needs to be 43660723250 (followed by the road of the property) eg. Snowberry Crescent.

Please advise us once payment has been made and on what date.