Type of licence

Environment licence

Contact us

Email: environmental.health@warrington.gov.uk or call 01925 984728


You need a licence from the council to supply petrol to vehicles with internal combustion engines. You also need a licence if you store large amounts of petrol for private use.

Conditions may be attached to a licence. Please contact the petroleum officer in the public protection service before you formally submit an application.


Regulation summary: http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum.htm

Who can apply?

Anyone who intends to supply or store large amounts of petroleum.

How to apply

Please make sure you have contacted the petroleum officer in the public protection service before submitting your application.

Fees and charges

Fees are charged according to the volume of fuel and the length of licence.

Petroleum servicesFee (exc VAT)Fee (inc VAT)
Petroleum tank search£80.64£96.77
Petroleum licence to keep petrol (Consolidation Regulations, 2014)  
Less than 2,500 litres£46-
2,500-50,000 litres£62-
More than 50,000 litres£131-
Petroleum licence transfer (Consolidation Regulations, 2014)£8.49-

After we receive your application

You can assume your application is granted if you have not heard from the council within 28 days of the receipt of the application.


You can appeal if:

  • you're refused a licence
  • you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
  • you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate

If you're planning to appeal, please contact the council in the first instance.


If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise for that person to contact your directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.

Citizens Advice Guide


UK European Consumer Centre


30 April 2024