You need a licence to hold a civil ceremony or wedding.

Who can apply?

You must be the owner of the premises. You must also apply online or in writing, and give details such as your name and address, a plan of the room where the ceremonies will hold and other information required.

How to apply

To get a licence, you must submit your application with all the information required and your premises must be considered suitable.

However, your application may still be refused if there are too many approved premises in the area for the registrars to attend.

Please note: You’ll need to make a new application if you need to transfer or change your licence.

Apply for a new licence - GOV.UK


Fees and charges

The application fee for an approved premises licence is £1,050

After we receive your application

Your application and plan will be made available to the public for inspection and public notice of the application will be put in a local newspaper as part of a public consultation process.

The Registrar General may issue us with guidance to assist us in making a decision.

Appeals and complaints

If you're planning to appeal or make a complaint, please contact us at

You have the right to seek a review of our refusal to grant your application.

If you object to an application for premises approval you may give notice to us within 21 days of the notice of application appearing in the local newspaper.