The Mayor of Warrington, Cllr Jean Flaherty, will join war veterans, religious leaders and members of the armed forces for Remembrance Sunday.
The schedule for the ceremony is as follows:
- 10.20am: The parade will step off from Warrington Town Hall and make its way to the cenotaph via Springfield Street; Palmyra Square South; Suez Street; Ryland Street; Bridge Street and onto the cenotaph at approximately 10.30am.
- 10.59am: The service will begin at the war memorial with the sounding of the ‘Last Post’ and the laying of the first wreath by the Mayor.
- 11am: Warrington will observe the national two-minute silence, marked by a bugler. Immediately following the silence, the cenotaph service will commence, led by Canon June Steventon.
- 11.25am approx: The parade will reform and return to the Town Hall.
Members of the public who wish to attend the ceremony are asked to access and exit the cenotaph via the marked crossing points and arrive by 10.45am, prior to the civic party taking their positions at the cenotaph.
Mayor of Warrington, Cllr Jean Flaherty, said: “It’s so important that we never forget the sacrifices made by so many during times of conflict. Remembrance Sunday gives us the opportunity to honour all those who have sacrificed so much, and to pay tribute to our armed forces, past and present.”
Delays around the Bridge Foot area are expected, with traffic restrictions in place throughout the morning, co-ordinated in collaboration with Cheshire Constabulary to uphold the safety of the event. These are:
- 8am – 1pm: Significant road closures in place, with a full closure of Bridge Foot
- 8am -1pm: No access or exit at Riverside Retail Park, Wharf Industrial Estate, Tanning Court Industrial Estate - no access or exit
- 9am – 1pm: Traffic restrictions at Queen’s Gardens – inclusive of Sankey Street, Legh Street (from the junction of Bath Street to Sankey Street), Springfield Street, Palmyra Square South, Palmyra Square North, Bold Street, Suez Street, Rylands Street, Barbauld Street.
Parking at Time Square Multi Storey Car Park is free of charge all day Sunday.