As part of breastfeeding awareness week, the council’s public health team is hosting a breastfeeding support event on Friday 22 September, from 10am until 2pm. Taking place at the mezzanine in the market the event will offer a range of information and support including;
• Children Centres staff will be on hand to talk about the support available, as well as offering some sensory play tasters
• Supportive Sloths (Sling and Cloth Nappy Library) will provide lots of slings to try out.
• Bridgewater NHS Oral Health Team will offer advice and guidance
• WBC Public Health Team and Bridgewater NHS Infant Feeding Specialist will have information on Breastfeeding and Healthy Start
• Information on affordable food provisions to support healthy eating in pregnancy and while breastfeeding
This year’s national breastfeeding week takes place from 18 to 24 September. Promoted by the Department of Health and Social Care the week focuses on the theme that everyone has a part to play in helping mums to breastfeed.
Warrington Borough Council’s cabinet member for public health and wellbeing, Cllr Maureen McLaughlin, said: “Breastfeeding can give babies a really good start in life, but it is not always straight forward and can sometimes be challenging. That’s why it’s so important that mothers who wish to breastfeed are given all the information and support they need.
“This special event will provide invaluable advice, guidance and practical tips for anyone who needs it, as well as giving mums the chance to meet others, share experiences and make new friends. There will be lots of help on offer in a welcoming and relaxing environment, so if you think you would benefit from this support, please make sure you join us.”
• Westy Children’s Centre on Tuesday, 10:00 to 11:30
• Orchards Children’s Centre on Wednesday, 10:30 to 12:00
• Great Sankey Children’s Centre, on Thursday, 13:00 to 14:30