Delivering events safely
Following the government's Living with COVID announcement, we are updating our COVID-secure event advice and guidance.
Our Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG) will assess and provide advice on applications for events in line with relevant government guidance. Much of the general guidance provided on this page, including around infection prevention and control, is still relevant and you may wish to still complete a COVID-19 risk assessment and management plan if necessary.
Events cover a wide range of organised activities, ranging from small community events to large concerts including:
- Carnivals, funfairs, fetes, steam rallies and community fairs
- Display and performing arts, including street art events
- Firework displays
- Flower shows and gardening events
- Literature fairs/festivals
- Outdoor theatres and performing arts
- Pet and animal shows
- Physical activity and leisure events e.g. organised runs, charity events
Things to consider before submitting your application
If you wish to submit a COVID-19 risk assessment, you could consider all the stages of your event from the planning, assembly, opening, and taking down. It should apply to everyone involved, from volunteers to visitors, performers to the general public, and all elements of catering, performance areas, attractions and trading stands.
The risk assessment should include reasonable mitigation to ensure:
- steps are taken to avoid queues building up
- appropriate cleaning schedules are in place - cleanliness in all areas with a focus on touch points
- customer data can be collected for the purposes of ‘NHS Test and Trace’
- customers are aware of how to travel safely to venues in advance of the event, according to the safer travel guidance