Online forms: Abandoned vehicles
Use this form to report an abandoned vehicle.
Before you report a vehicle to us, please insert the registration number and vehicle make of the car on GOV.UK's vehicle enquiry website to make sure that the vehicle is abandoned. Abandoned and nuisance vehicles can often be confused.
Are you sure the vehicle is abandoned?
Councils must work out if vehicles are abandoned. This is likely if one of the following applies:
- the vehicle has no keeper on the DVLA’s database and is untaxed - check with DVLA as vehicles no longer have to display a tax disc
- the vehicle is stationary for a significant amount of time
- the vehicle is significantly damaged, run down or unroadworthy - with flat tyres, wheels removed or broken windows
- the vechicle is burned out
- the vehicle has a number plates missing
- the vehicle may contain waste
The council can dispose of abandoned vehicles if any of the following apply:
- the vehicle is only fit to be destroyed
- we can’t find the owner or the owner fails to comply with a notice to collect the vehicle
Nuisance vehicles comprise of:
- two or more vehicles offered for sale on a street (within 500m of each other) where they are exposed or advertised for sale, or
- a vehicle being repaired by a garage or other business on the road
If the issue is around illegal parking, school parking issues or a request for yellow lines, please use our parking problems form
If you've read and understood the above and you're sure the vehicle you want to report is an abandoned vehicle you'll need to tell us:
- The location of the vehicle
- The type of vehicle and as much information as possible about it, such as the make, model, colour, condition and registration number (if known)
- The date it was abandoned, or when you first noticed it
- Upload an image if you have one
We will only ever use this information to deliver the service that you have requested.
Please note: For security reasons our online forms have a 10-minute timeout feature (per page of the form) - the details you have entered will NOT be saved if you take more than 10 minutes to type information into each page of the form.
Therefore if the details of your complaint will take a while to type, you may like to draft the wording before you begin this form, and then copy and paste it in response to the relevant questions.