Staying independent is the best way to stay healthy whether you have care needs, a disability, or you need support into older age. Most people prefer to stay in their own home and with home adaptations and extra help, this is often possible.

If you’ve already explored options to stay at home, or if someone you care for needs specialised support, then moving home may be the right decision.

Our directory of local services, My Life Warrington, provides a range of information about accommodation for people with care and support needs.

Care homes

Care homes provide 24 hour support to you if you can no longer be supported in your own home or in any other setting. There are different types of care homes depending on your needs. Many people arrange their own services. However, before moving to a care home you’ll often need an assessment of your needs and of your eligibility for support.

Sheltered or supported accommodation

Sheltered/retirement housing is usually only available to you if you’re over the age of 55. It’s often purpose-built accommodation and may have features such as a personal alarm system, where you can contact a manager or warden at the touch of a button if there’s an emergency and you need help.

Supported accommodation may be for you if you’re under the age of 65, and you need additional support at home due to a learning disability, mental health difficulty or physical or sensory disability. This is often purpose-built accommodation, where you share with a small group of people and staff are based in the home for day-to-day support.

Paying for care

Our directory of local services, My Life Warrington, provides a range of information about accommodation if you have care and support needs, such as:

  • Sheltered / retirement housing
  • Housing with care (extra care)
  • Retirement villages
  • Supported housing (often for working age adults)
  • Residential homes
  • Nursing homes
  • Homes for people with mental ill health / dementia

Many people arrange and pay for their own services. However, you may be eligible for help with arranging and funding your care and support.

The council may be able to help with funding the cost of care if your assets don’t exceed £23,250. You may still have to contribute towards the cost of your care and support, but may not have to pay for all of it.

Find out how much you may have to pay

Our calculator can help you to find out how much you may need to pay towards your care based on your income, savings and expenses.

To request a needs assessment, you can contact the Adult Social Care First Response Team on 01925 443322 or send us a message at We aim to reply to all emails within two working days. 


9 April 2024