To run a market stall you need a licence from the council.
Apply for a market stall
Who can apply
Anyone over the age of 18 can apply to run a market stall.
Fees and charges
No fee will apply for your application, you will just need to pay rental fees depending on your stall size and the nature of what you're selling.
After we receive your application
You will be able to act as though your application has been granted if you do not hear from us within 28 days of your application.
We will determine your application based upon:
- trading history
- product lines to be carried
- availability of market stalls
- if other traders are already currently selling the same or similar products close by
Your market stall will be checked regularly to ensure you are complying with market and trading regulations.
If you plan to make any changes to the product lines you sell or sale of goodwill on your market stall, please contact us in the first instance. Fees may apply for processing changes.
You may need to provide public liability insurance with your application, plus proof of identity.
Trading laws apply in terms of opening hours and there are certain items which cannot be sold in the market. Please contact us for more information.
You can appeal if:
- you're refused a licence
- you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
- you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate