To operate as a scrap metal dealer within Warrington you need to apply for a licence.

There are two types:

  • A site licence lets you buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location in Warrington
  • A collector’s licence allows you to travel within Warrington to collect scrap metal.

You can only apply for one type of licence in Warrington and you’ll need to renew your licence every 3 years.

You'll need to apply for collector's licenses from separate authorities if you wish to operate in more than one council area.

Apply for a new licence

To apply for a new scrap metal dealer licence, you will need to visit the GOV.UK website

You'll also need to provide three forms of ID by email or post, such as:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence
  • Utility bill
  • Bank or credit card statement

Applications for this licence are subject to a 28-day consultation period.

Fees and charges

Site licence

New licence £385.60
Renewal £313.50
Variation £50


Collectors licence

New licence £270.00
Renewal £253.40
Variation £50
Scrap dealers' record book

This scrap dealers record book is an example of what you need to record for each item of scrap metal you receive. You must record and retain all details for three years.

Basic disclosure certificate

You and every person listed on the application form must submit a Basic DBS check from the Disclosure and Barring Service, you can apply and pay online for the certificate.

Tax check

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has introduced a simple tax check from 4 April 2022 that applies when people renew their  scrap metal licences. This service has been created so that everyone pays the tax they should, creating a level playing field for the majority of people that comply.

You will need to complete a tax check when you apply or renew your licence as a:

  • Scrap metal dealer mobile collector
  • Scrap metal dealer site

Please read the tax check factsheet to understand what is required, as this will apply to all renewals and new applicants.

You can read guidance on the steps required to undertake the tax check on the .GOV.UK website.


You can appeal if:

  • you're refused a licence
  • you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
  • you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate

If you're planning to appeal, please contact the council in the first instance. Appeals must then be made to the local magistrates' court within 21 days of the licensing decision.


If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise for that person to contact your directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery.

If that has not worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.

Any person objecting to an application for the grant, renewal or transfer of a licence may give written notice of their objection to the council, stating the grounds of the objection, within 28 days of the date of the application. Please email

Get in touch contact us by email at or call 01925 442588