You may be able to claim single person discount if you are the only adult, aged 18 years or over, living in your home. Single person discount is 25% off your total council tax bill.

How to apply for single person discount

You will need to tell us:

  • Your name, address and contact details
  • Your council tax account number
  • The date you moved in to the property
  • The date you want to the discount to start

If you’re claiming the discount because someone has moved out, you will also need to tell us:

  • Their name
  • The date they vacated
  • Their forwarding address

Evidence you need to provide

It can be difficult to provide documents or other evidence showing that you live alone. When you apply we don’t usually ask you to provide any proof, but we do ask you to declare that the information you provide in your application is true.

We regularly review single person discount claims, and ask you to re-confirm that you are the only adult living in the property.

When you can’t claim single person discount

If someone else in your household is:

  • working away from home
  • on holiday

Please note: You can only claim a single person discount if the property is occupied as your sole or main residence.

If your circumstances change

You must tell us within 21 days if:

  • Someone else has moved in with you
  • Someone in the property is no longer considered as a person who is not counted for council tax purposes
  • your circumstances change which means you may no longer be entitled to a single person discount. If you don't, you may be fined £70.

Changes include:

  • One of your children has turned 18
  • Someone has returned home after a long-term stay in hospital or care
  • Someone has returned home after being released from prison

Cancelling a discount

To cancel a single person discount please email with:

  • your full name, address, and account reference number (if you have it)
  • the date the change has/will happen
  • as much information as you can as to why you are asking for your discount to be cancelled i.e. who is moving in, where they have moved from (if previous address known)

Backdating your discount

You should apply for a discount when you first become entitled, because it is almost impossible to check backdated claims. We will not usually backdate a discount more than a short period unless you have a very good reason for not applying at the right time, and you can provide evidence to support this.

  • Not realising that you needed to apply is not a good reason as information regarding the discounts is made available in the council tax booklets, which are issued to every home with your council tax bill each year. Each application will be treated on its own merits.
  • If you want us to consider backdating your claim a long way, you should send your application explaining why you didn't apply when you first started living alone and provide any evidence you may have to support your claim.

Grown-up children

Don’t forget about any grown-up children that live with you - if they are 18 or over, they are counted for council tax purposes. However you may be able to claim a discount if they are in certain types of full-time education or training.

16 July 2024