Scheduled Maintenance: My Warrington (my.warrington.gov.uk) may be unavailable for a short time on 29 February 2020, between 11am to 12pm for scheduled maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Register a birth
You have to register the birth of your baby within 42 days.
Who can register the birth
Who can register the birth depends on your personal circumstances. Find out who can register a birth on .GOV.UK.
Where to register the birth
If your baby was born in Warrington you must register at Warrington Register Office, whether or not you live here. You have to make an appointment.
Make an appointment
- Appointments are available Monday to Friday, between 9am-4.30pm.
- Appointments aren’t available on weekends or bank holidays.
At the appointment we’ll ask you about your baby:
- Their first name, middle name(s) and surname
- Whether they are a boy or a girl
- When they were born – this will just be the date, unless you’re registering twins or triplets etc, in which case we’ll also need the time when each baby was born
And we’ll ask about you, and the baby’s other parent if you’re both being included on the birth certificate:
- Your name and address
- Your occupation
- Where and when you were born
- If you have any other children
- Any previous names or surnames
- The date of your marriage or civil partnership (if this applies)
It’s really useful if you can bring:
- Your passport(s)
- Your driving licence(s)
- A recent utility bill
- Your marriage or civil partnership certificate, if this applies
But don’t worry if you don’t have these documents available, we can still register your baby without them.
However it can cost you between £75 and £90 if you need to correct or add any information at a later date. So before you come to your appointment, please make sure you know all of the necessary information, and double check all of the information before you sign the register.
If English is not your first language and you’d like someone to help with the registration, you should ask a friend or relative to come with you.
There are two types of birth certificates:
- a short one which shows only your baby’s name, gender, date and place of birth
- a longer one which also shows information about you as the parent(s)
You can buy birth certificates at your appointment. They cost £11 each and you can pay by cash or card. You can also buy more copies later if you need to, find out about ordering a copy of a birth certificate.
It’s free to book an appointment and register a birth, but there is a cost if you want to buy a copy of the birth certificate.