Before you make improvements always check if you need planning permission, building regulation approval or both. If you go ahead without permission or approval, you may end up having to put things back to how they were.

Do you need building regulation approval?

As well as getting planning permission you may need separate approval for a new building, extension or major alteration. Your work needs to reach certain standards so that the building is safe and energy efficient.

Generally you’ll need building control approval for:

  • new buildings
  • extensions
  • loft conversions
  • changes to the structure of the building
  • change the use of buildings
  • home improvements such as a new boiler, radiators, bathroom, fuse box, electric, windows, doors and roofing

Planning permission

You’ll generally need planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new
  • building an extension
  • change the current use of your building

The Planning Portal website and their interactive guidance for householders will tell you more about when you do and when you don’t need planning permission.

Contact Building Control

If you need to contact the Planning team, please visit the Planning section of our website we cannot reply to questions for the Planning team.

You can contact our Building Control team by sending us a message or calling us, our offices are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

You can call the Building Control team on 01925 442554

Planning questions

Our Building Control team cannot reply to planning questions you'll need to get in touch with our Planning team. Please visit the Planning section of our website.

The information that you provide will only be used for the purpose of responding to the matter that you have contacted us about. The information will not be shared on or used for any other purposes other than dealing with your query.

For more information on how your data will be used please see our Privacy Policy

3 July 2023