Who needs a chaperone?

All children who take part in any performance need a chaperone.  This includes stage, film, TV and modelling.  If a child's parent or teacher is unable to look after them, then a chaperone is required.

Read our terms and conditions for obtaining a chaperone licence.

The role of a chaperone

Is to ensure the best interests of the child they are looking after.  This includes the child’s health, well-being and education throughout the time of the performance or activity.

Professional chaperone licence

  • Is required if someone is being paid to look after children, and are usually employed through a chaperone agency. This is mainly used by production companies or larger shows
  • To apply for a professional chaperone licence you will need to provide a copy of your NSPCC training certificate
  • A professional chaperone licence is granted for three years

Volunteer chaperone licence

  • Is required if someone is helping as part of a stage or theatre show.  This is usually parents of children in the show, or anyone assisting in an unpaid role by the production company
  • A volunteer chaperone licence is granted for three years

Who can apply?

  • Anyone who lives in Warrington and is over 18.

Licence fees

  • £60 for a professional licence
  • £20 for a volunteer licence
  • You will need a credit or debit card in order to pay the licence fee
  • Licence fee cost is for administration and enhanced DBS checks. You will not be entitled to a refund if your application is unsuccessful.

Checklist before you apply

  • Payment for your licence
  • Two references, one personal and one professional. References are not accepted from family members
  • Proof of identity, such as:
    • a passport
    • a valid driving licence
    • marriage or birth certificate
  • Proof of address, such as a bank statement, utility bill, council tax statement, benefit award notice and must be dated within the last six months
  • passport style photograph of yourself this must be taken within the last month
  • A photograph of yourself clearly holding your photo ID
  • Proof of your NSPCC training certificate is only required for professional licence applications

Apply online