You need planning permission to do certain improvements and building work. You must find out if you need permission before you start.

  • If you do anything that needs permission but you don't have it, then we can serve you with an enforcement notice. This is an instruction to put the alteration back to how it was originally – usually a very expensive outcome.
  • We can also give you an enforcement notice if we give you permission to do something in a certain way, but you do it differently.
  • Whether we take this action depends on whether we think the work you have done is unacceptable, harmful or not in the public interest.

Find out more about enforcements, and how to appeal on the the Planning Portal website: