You can apply to us to drop the kerb outside your home so that you can drive across the pavement to park on your driveway or garage. 

We may be able to do the work for you, or you can ask us for permission to drop or widen your kerb and then use your own contractor. It’s worth checking with us first before submitting an application.

Before you apply

The rules and laws relating to dropped kerbs can sometimes be quite complicated. You may need to speak to several different organisations and experts before you apply. Here are some of the things you need to think about:

Make sure there's enough space
  • There must be enough space on your property for your vehicle to be parked without it overhanging on to the public road or pavement – the length of your driveway should be at least 5 metres from your home to your boundary.
  • If you have, or want to put up, gates the parking space will need to be bigger, as the gates must swing towards your property and not out towards the road.
Check if there's a slope
  • If your property is higher or lower than the road, check if the slope will be safe to drive and walk on or across - it should be no more than an 8% gradient.
  • If not, you may need to alter the level of your property or boundary.
  • You have to also make sure that you have drainage in place, no surface water must drain from your property onto the public road or pavement.
Make sure there’s enough visibility 
  • So that you can leave your driveway safely, you must be able to see clearly along either side of the road.
  • Check if the view will be obscured, for example by trees, hedges, fences or walls which are taller than 0.6 metres.
  • The visibility range depends on the speed limit of the road.
If you need a wide or narrow crossing
  • The standard width of a dropped kerb is 2.75 metres.
  • If you need a wider or narrower one explain why when you apply.
If you want more than one dropped kerb
  • We usually only approve one dropped kerb for a property.
  • If you need more than one, explain why when you apply.
  • They must be separate access points, you shouldn’t be able to drive across your property from one to the other.
If you live on a main road or near a junction
  • If you live on a classified road – an A, B or C road – you’ll have to apply for planning permission first.
  • When permission is granted, you can then apply to us to drop the kerb.
  • We can’t usually allow a dropped kerb within 15 metres of a road junction or traffic lights.
If you live in a conservation area

There are several conservation areas in Warrington, if you live in one you may need to get planning permission before you can apply for a dropped kerb.

If you don’t own the property
  • You must get permission from the person who does.
Check if it will affect any ‘utility apparatus’
  • This might be gas or water pipes under the ground, or internet cables or phone lines.
  • If your dropped kerb will affect anything like this, you’ll have to contact the utility company to discuss this, and make sure the utility apparatus is adjusted or protected.
  • You may have to pay for this, and it can sometimes be very expensive.
If it’s a business premises
  • You have to make sure there is enough space for all of the different types of vehicles that may need to access the property.
  • You may also need to provide an off-road area for large vehicles to turn round, and we may ask you to show where this is/will be when you apply.
  • We may consider separate ‘in’ and ‘out’ crossings if they’re needed.
  • If you’re a developer or landowner and you’re applying for a crossing for a block of flats, offices or shops, you may need to apply for planning permission first.


Each dropped kerb application is unique, and costs can vary. It’s important you know rough costs before deciding whether to go ahead.

Here are some estimated prices based on the size of the crossing, but we’ll confirm the actual cost after you apply and we’ve inspected the area.

Measure the distance from the front of your property to the edge of the kerb in metres. Multiply this number by 3.75 to calculate the area in square metres.

  • 7 square metres = £875
  • 10 square metres = £1250
  • 15 square metres = £1875

There will be extra costs if other work is needed, for example:

  • Moving a lamppost = £1200
  • Removing a tree = £600 (for every tree we remove, we replace it with two trees somewhere else)
  • Moving an unlighted road sign = £350
  • Moving a lighted road sign = £1000

And there may be more costs charged by other services or organisations, like utility companies.

You’ll need to tell us: 

  • Your name, address and contact details
  • The address where you’d like a dropped kerb (if it’s different)
  • Why you need a dropped kerb

You’ll also need to provide an electronic copy – either take a picture or scan it on to your computer – of:

  • A map clearly showing the property and the road it’s on
  • A photo of the area where the dropped kerb will be
  • A sketch, including dimensions
  • A copy of the written permission from the property owner, if it’s not you
  • A copy of the planning permission (it’s your responsibility to check if planning permission is needed)

After you apply

We’ll take a look at the information you’ve told us to make sure it’s accurate. If anything is missing or incorrect then we can’t accept your application.  
We’ll come and inspect the area. You don’t have to be there as we don’t usually need to go onto your property – if we do, we’ll let you know in advance and check that it’s okay.

If we approve your application

If we approve your request, we’ll write to you within 28 days and include a quotation. This quotation is valid for three months.

The work must be completed within six months otherwise you’ll have to apply to us again. 

Ring us on 01925 443322 to pay by card, or send a cheque or postal order made out to Warrington Borough Council to:

Economic Regeneration, Growth and Environment
Highway Asset Maintenance and Street Works Section
Dropped Crossing Application
Warrington Borough Council
Buttermarket Street

If we don’t approve your application

We’ll write to you and let you know why.

Using your own contractor

If you decide to use your own contractor it’s your responsibility to make sure that they:

  • Apply to us for Permit to Dig before they start any work – you’ll need to give them the reference number we gave you when we approved your request 
  • Hold public liability insurance of at least £5 million, which indemnifies you and us
  • Employ trained and accredited workers in line with the codes of practice in the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991
  • Accept and keep to any conditions which we set, for example saying that work can only take place during certain times, and any costs relating to this
  • Accept a two-year maintenance period after the work is done – they and you will be responsible for any claims
  • Give us update notices confirming when the work has started and finished, and the registration of all reinstatement dimensions
  • Give us 20 days notice before the work starts
  •  Plan the work out properly, and complete it efficiently

If you have any problems or issues about the work, please raise it with us.

We’ll come out and inspect whilst the work is taking place, and we’ll inspect again within six months. The inspection costs are included in the cost for the Permit to Dig.

If you or your contractor don’t meet the conditions which we set out when we approve the dropped kerb and the Permit to Dig, we’ll try and work with you to resolve this. But if we can’t, we’ll remove the dropped kerb and reinstate the road as it was – and recover the costs from you.