You usually need the following original documents to support your claim:

  • ID and national insurance number
  • tenancy agreement, rent book or letter from your landlord
  • bank statements for last three months
  • five payslips (if paid weekly) or two payslips (if paid monthly)
  • other benefit award letters

The quickest way to provide these documents to us is by email to

You must submit all supporting evidence within one month of your claim. You won't usually get any payments until you've done this.

Income and capital

Housing benefit and council tax support are ‘means tested’ benefits. We need to know about how much income and capital you have to work out how much housing benefit and council tax support you are entitled to. Find out more about income and capital, and the evidence you need to provide.

3 February 2023