Third party appointee

If you are responsible for a person who is claiming, or you think needs to make a claim for housing benefit and/or council tax support and this person is unable to act for themselves, you can take over all rights and responsibilities in relation to the claim.

You would take over responsibility for:

  • housing benefit payments
  • housing benefit and council tax support notifications
  • housing benefit and council tax support overpayments

An appointee can be an individual or an organisation. Once you are appointed, you become responsible for ensuring that any money that you receive on the claimant's behalf is used for paying their rent.

You also become responsible for informing the council of any changes in relation to the claimant's circumstances, and/or changes in your capacity to act as an appointee.  

To become an appointee you need to complete the new appointee application form.