Scheduled Maintenance: My Warrington (my.warrington.gov.uk) may be unavailable for a short time on 29 February 2020, between 11am to 12pm for scheduled maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
More than five million people are at risk from flooding in the UK. Flooding can be caused by overflowing rivers or streams, heavy rain, blocked drains or technical failures such as damage to a water main.
You are responsible for protecting your own property in the event of flooding. If you are a tenant it will be your landlord's responsibility. We don't have a legal obligation to store and provide sandbags unless flooding is from a road or council land.
What you can do
- Check your flood risk and sign up for free flood warnings via the Environment Agency Flood Information Services
- Make a flood plan to make sure you, your family and your home will be protected if the worst happens
- Keep a list of important numbers with you – emergency services, utilities, insurance company
- Familiarise yourself with the isolation points for water, gas and electricity for your property
- If you feel you are at risk of flooding, put important documents and belongings in a safer place
- Contact Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for advice on the risk of your area flooding
a riverside property owner.
Report a flooding issue
Stay up-to-date with flood insurance changes:
How you can help us
As the public, you are our eyes and ears to local flooding events. Flooding can happen quickly and disappear just as fast so we need your knowledge, photos and other records to help us investigate incidents and apply for funding. Send anything that might help us to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you own land or property alongside a river or other watercourse
A watercourse is any natural or artificial channel that water flows through such as a river, brook, beck, or stream. If you own property alongside a watercourse, you may be the 'riparian owner' and could be responsible for up to the centre line of a watercourse.
View the Riparian Ownership guide on the Environment Agency website which explains your rights and responsibilities.