More than five million people are at risk from flooding in the UK. Flooding can be caused by overflowing rivers or streams, heavy rain, blocked drains or technical failures such as damage to a water main.
There are steps you can take if you are concerned that your property is at risk of flooding. If you are a tenant or live in social housing, please speak to your landlord about flooding concerns as it is your landlord's responsibility.
What you can do
- Check your flood risk and sign up for free flood warnings via the Environment Agency Flood Information Services
- Plan ahead to make sure you, your family and your home will be protected if the worst happens
- Keep a list of important numbers with you – emergency services, utilities, insurance company
- Familiarise yourself with the isolation points for water, gas and electricity for your property
- If you feel you are at risk of flooding, put important documents and belongings in a safer place
- Contact Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for advice on the risk of your area flooding