The Church of England, or Anglican Church, does not come under the authority of the civil registration service. If you wish to marry in a Church of England church, you must contact the vicar who will be able to advise you on all matters relating to the legal requirements, calling of banns and your ceremony.

If you are being married in a church or religious building other than Church of England, it is necessary for you to give your notice of marriage in your local district register office. You can only be married in a church in a different district to where you live if either or both of you regularly worship there. You may also be married in another district if there is no building of your religious denomination registered for marriage in the district where either of you live.

The church will usually have an authorised person who will register your marriage, but if this is not the case, a registrar from the local register office must attend the wedding. You should confirm that a registrar will be available before finalising your arrangements.

Please note that not all buildings used for religious worship are registered for marriages. If in doubt, please contact Warrington Register Office.