Members of religious communities

If you are a member of a religious community, such as a monk or nun, you aren’t counted for council tax purposes as long as:

  • you have no personal income or capital
  • your main work involves prayer, contemplation, education and the relief of suffering

Homes for ministers of religion

If you own a property which is used as a house for religious communities or ministers, you are liable for the council tax, not the people who live there.

If your property is unoccupied, you may be able to get a council tax exemption. The property must be waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion, from which they will carry out the duties of their office: