We call people who are aged 18 or over and usually resident in your household, a 'non-dependant'. 

When we calculate your benefit or support entitlement, we will take into account the circumstances of you, your partner, your children and your non-dependants. Therefore, we need to know the circumstances of your non-dependants and you will need to provide evidence of their income if they have any. 

Non-dependants are expected (by the government) to contribute towards rent and council tax. Therefore, depending on the non-dependant’s income, we will take a deduction from the amount of rent and council tax you pay, before awarding benefit. The deduction will vary according to the amount of income your non-dependant receives. 

You will need to provide proof of the income your non-dependant receives. See the checklist in related documents for information about the proof needed. 

The following people are not non-dependants
  • your partner
  • a child you receive child benefit for (up to age 19)
  • a person under age 18
  • a person in full time education
  • a person on a youth training scheme
  • a tenant or boarder  
We will not take a deduction in the following situations
  • if you or your partner are receiving Attendance Allowance
  • if you or your partner are registered blind
  • if you or your partner are receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the daily living allowance component of Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
  • if the non-dependant is in hospital for 52 weeks or more
  • if the non-dependant is on Income Support, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, Universal Credit (full payment) or Employment Support Allowance (assessment phase) and
    • under 25 years old If the non-dependant is a full-time student, or on a youth training scheme
3 February 2023