If someone is in detention and their home is unoccupied, it is exempt from council tax. If someone who usually lives with you is in detention but you still live in the property, you may get a discount on your council tax.
If you, or someone in your household, is in detention you may be able to claim a discount or exemption on your council tax. ‘Detention’ means:
- in prison
- in a hospital or any other place, under a court order
- held under the Immigration Act
- held under the Mental Health Act
- imprisoned, detained or in custody under the Armed Forces Act
- on temporary release from a prison