Bench with a high hedge behind it

Problems with high hedges are best solved informally by talking with the owner of the hedge.

  • Speak to your neighbour and politely ask if you can discuss the hedge.
  • If this doesn't work, ask your neighbour to try mediation.
  • If you still can't agree, let them know that you plan to complain to us.

Keep a record of your attempts to solve the issue with the hedge owner. You will need this information if you want to complain to us about the hedge. You need to prove you have tried to solve the problem before contacting us.


If you don’t know who owns the land or property

You can find out who owns a piece of land or property by searching the Land Registry website.

More advice and guidance

Get more information about high hedges, including how to resolve differences with your neighbour and how to complain by visiting High Hedges on GOV.UK.

Before you make a complaint

There are government regulations in place which guide how we deal with high hedge problems. For example, if you raise a complaint we cannot automatically order your neighbour to cut their hedge. The hedge would need to affect your ‘reasonable enjoyment’. The way that is decided is based on a number of factors and each case is different.

What the government regulations don’t cover:

  • Single trees or shrubs
  • Trees or shrubs shedding their leaves  
  • Ordering a hedge to be removed
  • Guaranteeing you access to uninterrupted light
  • Issuing Antisocial Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) for high hedges
  • Problems caused by hedge or tree roots
  • Comparing the height of the hedge to other nearby hedges
    If your other neighbours keep their hedges trimmed to a certain height, you can’t use this as grounds to complain that another neighbour doesn’t keep theirs the same height.

The ‘two metres’ myth

It’s not true that all hedges have to be below two metres, or that you have to get permission to grow a hedge over two metres. We can’t automatically do anything if a hedge is over two metres.

Making a complaint

We can only accept complaints about a hedge that is made up of at least two evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs, which are in a line with no big gaps in between. It must be at least two metres high and block out light to your home or garden.

You can complain whether you own or rent your home, but make sure you let your landlord know that you’re complaining to us. Make sure you tell us as much information as possible about the hedge and the problem but keep the information factual. We will send a copy of your complaint to your neighbour and their landlord if they have one.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

You can have someone make the complaint on your behalf, such as a family member, friend or a professional adviser. This person will be our main contact, but they’ll still need to tell us your name and contact details, we cannot accept any anonymous complaints.


What you need to tell us

You’ll need to include:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • your neighbour’s address (where the hedge is growing)
  • evidence that you’ve spoken to your neighbour and tried to resolve the problem informally first
  • the correct fee
  • a full explanation of how the hedge affects you
  • a photo of the hedge
  • a plan showing where the hedge is and the surrounding properties
  • any extra documents or professional reports that you have
  • details of any formal complaints you’ve already made about the hedge

How to draw your plan

Make sure that your plan:

  • shows the surrounding roads, and their names
  • shows all of the surrounding buildings and properties, with house numbers/names
  • clearly marks exactly where the hedge is and how long it is
  • shows any measurements in metres

If the hedge blocks out light make sure your plan:

  • marks which way is north
  • shows the windows which are affected by the hedge
  • includes any relevant measurements, for example the size of your garden and how far it is between the hedge and your windows

Don't forget the fee

You must pay in advance before we can investigate. We can’t refund this fee.

You can pay by cheque to Warrington Borough Council or by card over the phone, call 01925 443322.

High hedges servicesFee (exc VAT)
High hedge enquiry application£500

Send us your complaint

You’ll need to download the high hedges complaint form fill it in, attach a plan and any photographs then send it to us.

You can email it to or by post to:

Environmental Protection,
Warrington Borough Council,
East Annexe,
Town Hall,
Sankey Street,

30 April 2024