From May 2023, all voters will be required to show an accepted form of photo ID at a polling station before they are able to cast their vote.
This includes voting as part of:
- UK Parliamentary general elections
- local elections in England
- local referendums in England
- Police and Crime Commissioner elections in England and Wales
The majority of voters will already have an accepted form of ID. This includes:
- Driver’s licenses
- Concessionary travel passes
- PASS cards
- Ministry of Defence identity cards
- Photocard parking permits issued as part of the Blue Badge scheme
- Free Voter Cards
Please check the full list of accepted photo ID on the GOV.UK website.
Don’t have a valid form of photo ID?
If you are eligible to vote and don't have an accepted form of ID, you can get a newly created form of ID known as a Voter Authority Certificate.