Warrington East - Phases 2 and 3
Warrington East Phase 3
Location: A574 Birchwood Way from M62 junction 11 to the Moss Gate / Daten Avenue junction.
The aim of this scheme is to provide additional traffic capacity and reduce congestion in this area. It's the latest stage in the series of improvements to Birchwood Way that were started back in 2015 (the Birchwood Pinch Point project) and more recently the Warrington East Phase 2 (more information below) scheme which is now well under construction. These schemes will support access to new employment proposals in east Warrington, supporting existing jobs especially in the Birchwood Enterprise Zone.
A stakeholder engagement for the scheme was carried out in May 2018 with feedback illustrating extensive support for the scheme.
The scheme will include the construction of a new carriageway on the south side of Birchwood Way for traffic travelling towards Warrington. The existing single carriageway will carry traffic towards the M62 when this section is complete. It will also form a dual carriageway link between Moss Gate to M62 J1, significantly increasing capacity for access into and out of Birchwood from the motorway.
As part of the scheme the motorway roundabout at Junction 11 will be resurfaced with new road markings to improve capacity and safety. The existing vegetation on the south side of Birchwood Way will be removed to make space for the new carriageway and the vegetation on the north side will be trimmed back. Ecology surveys have been carried out and steps are being taken to protect Great Crested Newts in the area. There will be a landscaping scheme for the south side of the road to blend into the remaining woodland. This road is an important gateway to Warrington and the landscaping scheme has been designed to enhance its appearance.
Following the Executive Board approval and subject to the granting of a number of statutory consents we're anticipating the scheme to start in November 2018 and lasting about 12 months before it is fully complete. The construction of the project will be run parallel with the Warrington East Phase 2 scheme that's currently being built between Blackbrook Avenue and Oakwood Gate with the same contractor, Balfour Beatty, building the Phase 3 scheme. This approach will provide cost savings benefits and minimise the overall duration of traffic disruption in the area.
Two-way traffic will be maintained on Birchwood Way while the new carriageway is being built, with work taking place behind a safety fence. There'll be some off-peak lane restrictions at the end of the scheme where the new carriageway joins the existing one. We'll also need to undertake some night time road closures for necessary resurfacing works, however we'll coordinated these with the M62 Managed Motorway scheme.
The cost of the scheme is approximately £9.4M and is being funded by:
- National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF) (£4M)
- Funding transfer from Warrington East Phase 2 (£2.646M)
- Warrington BC capital borrowing (£2.75M)
Warrington East Phase 2
Birchwood Way is closed to westbound traffic from College Place to Blackbrook Avenue, with traffic diverted along Crab Lane, Enfield Park Road and Blackbrook Avenue.
View the Birchwood Way diversion route [pdf]. An alternative route is also available via Woolston Grange Avenue and Manchester Road towards the town centre. Birchwood Way towards Birchwood remains open in one direction. This closure and diversion will be in place until mid-December.
Work in progress during the next few weeks from 11 October
- Construction of the additional offside lane on the approach from Birchwood.
- Construction of the road widenings on Birchwood Way on the west of the roundabout.
- Excavation for the new footway / cycleway on the west side of Woolston Grange Avenue.
George Duckworth Island and Oakwood Gate
- Installation of ducts, kerbs and drainage gullies on the east side of the junction.
- Completion of earthworks for the new left turn lane from Oakwood Gate.
- Installation of the new drainage system in the west verge of Oakwood Gate.
Birchwood Way west of Oakwood Gate
- Slewing of telecommunications ducts away from the new embankment
- Earthworks for the road widening between Oakwood Gate and the Subway.
- The embankment widening is now complete.
- Excavation for the new eastbound lane, and laying the road foundation and kerbs.
Traffic Management in operation
A 30mph speed limit is in operation where the 30mph signs are displayed.
- Narrow lanes westbound over the M6 bridge on approach to the junction, with one lane closed at off-peak times (0930 – 1600).
- Off-peak lane closures on the roundabout and approaches (0930 - 1600).
George Duckworth Island
- Off-peak lane closures (0930 – 1600) on Oakwood Gate (northbound), George Duckworth Island and Birchwood Park Avenue (southbound) towards Birchwood Centre and on Birchwood Way westbound on both sides of the junction.
- Narrow lanes on Birchwood Way westbound from Oakwood Gate.
Birchwood Way (College Place to Blackbrook Avenue)
- Road closed westbound from 1 August until mid-December.
- One-way traffic eastbound from Blackbrook Avenue towards College Place, one lane only.
- Plan of Blackbrook Avenue scheme [pdf]
- Plan of College Place scheme [pdf]
- Plan of Oakwood Gate scheme [pdf]
- Birchwood Way diversion route - August to December 2018 [pdf]
The Warrington East phase 2 project is designed to improve overall traffic flow along the A574 Birchwood Way, reducing congestion, improving road safety and general accessibility for cyclists and pedestrians. The project follows the success of the Birchwood Pinchpoint (Phase 1), and is funded from the Cheshire and Warrington Growth Deal and our own Capital Investment Programme.
Final approval for the project was given at the April Executive Board Committee together with the appointment of Balfour Beatty as the principal contractor.
If you require additional information or would like to be added to the email mailing list to receive consultation and traffic management updates, please email us.