If you want to visit Gatewarth recycling centre in a van, large vehicle or with a trailer, you may need to apply for a permit in advance.

We don’t issue any permits for Woolston or Stockton Heath recycling centres,

We only accept household waste, you can’t bring trade waste to a community recycling centre, with or without a permit.  We do offer a trade waste collection service.

How to apply

Call Environmental Waste Controls for a CRC permit on 0333 305 2280, 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.  Ring at least 48 hours before you plan to visit. Permits are free.

You’ll need to tell us:

  • How many times you plan to visit – you can only visit up to three times in a 12 month period
  • What date you want to visit
  • What items you need to get rid of, and how much – you’ll only be allowed to tip the items detailed on your permit
  • The make, model and registration number of the vehicle you’ll be using

Make sure you bring your permit number with you, plus proof of your address such as your driving licence or a recent utility bill.

When you don’t need a permit
  • If you’re visiting in your car, to get rid of a small amount of household waste
  • If you’re making one trip, using a van / commercial-type vehicle / trailer, to get rid of a small amount of household waste

Please bring your driving licence or a recent utility bill to confirm that you live in Warrington.  We may also ask you to sign a form to confirm that it’s only household, and not trade, waste. 

When you do need a permit
  • If you’ll be visiting more than once, in a van or other commercial-type vehicle, or with a trailer, to get rid of a larger amount household waste

  • If you want to get rid of items which aren’t classed as household waste

Items which need a permit

These items aren’t classed as household waste:

  • Rubble, bricks, paving stones, wall and floor tiles, roof tiles
  • Fencing, sheds, decking, concrete posts and panels
  • Plaster / plasterboard
  • Cement
  • Asbestos
  • Kitchen units
  • Bathroom suites
  • Doors and window frames
  • Fireplaces , radiators and central heating boilers
  • Gutters, downpipes, fascias
  • Loft installation
When you can’t use the community recycling centres

You can’t use a recycling centre at all if your vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes, or if you’re using a trailer bigger than 3 metres in length or 1.5 metres in width. We also can’t accept:

  • Trade waste
  • Car tyres / wheels and other vehicle parts
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Gas bottles including butane, propane,  camping gas and oxygen cylinders
  • Hazardous or inflammable liquids and chemicals
  • Pallets
7 February 2023