It is important to appreciate that there is no right to a parking space outside or even near to your property, this includes disabled parking bays, however; the Council does make every reasonable effort to assist individuals with disabled parking bays where a qualifying need can be evidenced.
You can apply for a disabled parking bay if you're a disabled resident and you don't have a driveway or another place to park on your property, and you have difficulty parking outside your home.
Remember the disabled parking bay isn’t reserved for you, it can be used by anyone with a Blue Badge.
Who can apply for a disabled parking bay?
To apply you must:
- have a blue badge
- be awarded the mobility component of PIP, DLA or awarded Attendance Allowance, and they must be paid at the enhanced/higher rate
- and have a car registered at your address (this can be your car, the car of someone that lives with you, a lease car or company car).
If you are a carer or someone who supports the blue badge holder, you can apply on their behalf. The process can take up to 6 months from receiving your application but we always try to install bays as quickly as we can.
How to apply
The parking bay is intended for a vehicle kept at your address and you'll need to provide proof of this when applying.
To apply you'll need to provide evidence of being awarded one of the following:
- The mobility part of your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) paid at the enhanced rate
- The mobility component of your Disability Living Allowance (DLA) paid at the higher rate
- Attendance Allowance paid at the higher rate
- If you own your car you'll need to provide your V5 or Motability agreement, for leased cars we'll need to see the lease agreement and for company cars you'll need to provide proof from your employer that the company car will be kept at your address overnight
- your blue badge number and expiry date - You must have a valid blue badge registered in your name
Evidence should be uploaded as a scanned version, or clear digital photos, of your whole award document, which must include the section showing payment at the higher/enhanced rate.
You must provide all of this information and evidence, ideally at the time that you apply, but no later than 21 days from when your application was made. If you don't provide your evidence your application will be closed and you'll need to re-apply.