The level of housing benefit and council tax support is assessed by comparing your net income with your 'applicable amount'.  

This is a standard amount set by the government and it is the amount which the law says you need for day to day living expenses. It is made up of personal allowances and premiums. This is based on you or your partner’s age and your household make up.  

The calculator will not show the correct award of council tax support if you have started a new job after being on Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance/Employment Support Allowance.  The housing benefit amount will be correct but you will need to call 01925 443210 for calculation of your council tax support. 

If you are getting Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance (IR), you will only get all of your council tax support if you live in Band A property and 91.5% of your liability if you live above Band A. This is the maximum amount we can pay.  

Find out more about council tax bands. You may get less than the maximum amount if you have any non-dependants sharing your home. If you are a pensioner, the maximum we can pay is your full liability.