The council is now responsible for its own Council Tax Support Scheme.
The scheme is limited to a Band A property, so if you live in a higher band you will only receive support up to the equivalent of a Band A property in your local area:
You can check your council tax band on our website if you're not sure which band you're in.
Changes to the scheme for working age customers from 1 April 2022
- The minimum award of Council Tax Support is £2.00 per week
- Second Adult Rebate is no longer available
How the scheme works
- If you currently receive full benefit, you will only need to pay 8.5% of your council tax bill if you live in a higher banded property (i.e. band B-H)
- If you (or your partner) start work after being on full benefits you will be protected against the band A restriction. So if you live in a band B-H property, your claim will be assessed based on 91.5% of your actual band for the remainder of the year
- The existing 25% single person’s discount will still apply
- These changes do not affect pensioners
How much can I claim?
You can download the in-depth guide that we use to calculate council tax support.