Please don’t report an emergency here. If something’s happening on the road which could cause immediate danger, contact the police.
How we manage traffic
There are traffic problems in all towns and cities, especially during mornings and evenings as people travel to and from work. It can get really busy in Warrington if there’s a problem on one of the motorways, or if the swing bridges open.
To keep you moving, we use an Urban Traffic Management and Control (UTMC) system. This includes traffic lights which automatically switch on or off, or have slightly different timings during certain times of the day. Some traffic lights also respond to road sensors when they pick up high/low levels of traffic.
We also have a control room with cameras so that we can keep an eye out – if we see any problems, we can change the timings of traffic lights to try and keep everyone moving.
We look after:
- 84 junctions with traffic lights
- 72 pedestrian crossings controlled by lights
- 55 vehicle counting sites
- 23 CCTV cameras
- 20 electronic signs, which give you advance warning about current or upcoming events or roadworks
- 25 electronic car park signs, which show how many parking spaces are free
What we’re investing in
We're always looking for ways to keep you moving, including investing in new technology. We upgrade and improve our traffic lights and CCTV cameras regularly.