Through the Town Investment Plan funding we aim to:
- Re-design key interior streets to make them safer, less car-oriented and more appealing for cyclists and pedestrians. This includes schemes to enhance the cycling experience within the Town Centre.
- Enhance the connections between the green ring of parks, open spaces and greenways that circle the Town Centre but are not well connected between themselves and with the town centre. This includes improving the access to the River Mersey bank environment.
- Improve wayfinding across Warrington to complement improvements to the walking and cycling experience in the Town Centre. Specific activities would include new wayfinding and enhancements to sports and recreational facilities.
- Establish a Community Cycle Hub in the town centre, including at various stages, bike hire facilities, a café, a repair workshop, maintenance courses, recycled bike offers and secure cycle parking. Often operated as a social enterprise, a hub relies on finding suitable accommodation in a location that will attract passing trade as well as being convenient for existing cyclists, and operators to run it
- Deliver a series of bus priority measures which will facilitate a network of high quality bus services benefitting from priority at congestion hotspots and/or segregated running. This will allow the bus services to compete with private car for journeys into the town centre. This is essential for creating a thriving, attractive and fully accessible centre
These exciting plans support our wider work, through our Local Transport Plan (LTP4) and Central 6 Regeneration Masterplan, which aim to transform how people travel around Warrington – in particular the first and last mile in and out of the town centre - and make our town a better connected place.
Our next step in to produce a business plan for our sustainable transport programme, which will be submitted to the Government later this year.
As we develop this plan, we will be engaging with local people, businesses and other stakeholders to get everyone’s views, ideas and feedback. Together, we can deliver a sustainable travel plan which is right for Warrington’s future.