You may be able to get a discount on your council tax if you care for someone who is disabled.

Live-in carers

The person you look after must not be your spouse, partner or child under 18 years old, and you must: 

  • live in the same property as the person you care for
  • provide at least 35 hours a week of care

The person you care for must receive one of the following (you will have to provide evidence to confirm):

  • Attendance Allowance
  • the higher or middle rate of any care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • the highest rate of a Disablement Pension
  • an increase in Constant Attendance Allowance
  • either rate of the ‘daily living’ component of Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Apply for a care worker council tax discount online

If your home is empty because you’re receiving care elsewhere

You can only apply for this exemption if no one else has lived in the property in between. 

The person must be being cared for due to:

  • Old age
  • Disablement
  • Illness
  • Mental disorder
  • Drug or alcohol dependence

You will need to provide:

  • The person’s name and contact details
  • The date they moved out
  • Their current council tax account number
  • The address they have moved to to receive care
  • The level of care provided at that address
  • Reason for the care and the nature of the disability/illness as mentioned in above list
  • A letter or supporting documentation from the persons GP to confirm their illness/disability
  • Name and address of the persons GP (we may write out for further information)

Apply for a discount because you’re receiving care elsewhere

If your home is empty because you're providing care elsewhere

This only applies if you have moved permanently to provide care and have no intention to return to the property. The property you have left empty must have been your sole or main residence before you moved to provide care and must be empty. 

The person you are caring for must need care because of:

  • Old age
  • Disablement
  • An illness
  • A past or present alcohol and/or drug dependence
  • A past or present mental disorder

You will need to provide:

  • The address sand council tax account number of the property you want to claim the exemption
  • Name and address of the person being cared for
  • The date you vacated
  • The level of care being provided and the reasons why the care is required
  • Nature of the illness/disability as mentioned above
  • Supporting evidence of the illness/disability from their GP

Apply for an exemption because you're providing care elsewhere online 

If you’re a volunteer care worker

If you voluntarily care for an elderly person or a person with a disability, you aren’t counted for council tax purposes so you may be able to get a discount.

You must:

  • be paid no more than £35 per week
  • live where the care is given, or in premises provided by your employer
  • provide care on behalf of a local authority or charity, or be employed by the person you care for

You will need to provide evidence from your employer to confirm you meet the criteria above. Please ensure you have the council tax account number to hand before applying.

Apply for a volunteer care worker exemption online 

Care home discount

An owner is liable to pay council tax on care homes and certain hostels providing care and support that are registered under the Care Standards Act 2000. 

Any patients whose main home is a care home are disregarded for discount purposes.  If all residents are disregarded the owner will be liable for 50%. The care home owner will need to:

  • Confirm they are registered under the Care Standards Act 2000
  • Confirm how many residents there are
  • Confirm all residents are receiving personal care
  • Confirm if there are any resident staff

If one or more people live in your care home but are not patients - for example they are resident staff members, or a resident proprietor (or part of their family) - then council tax will need to be paid, and you are not entitled to an discount.

Apply for a care home discount online 

11 January 2023