You may need to contact the council and use services differently as part of our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please visit our Coronavirus in Warrington pages to find out which services are affected.
Exclusions from schools
Schools employ a number of early intervention strategies to prevent exclusions. However, there are occasions when, due to breaches of a school’s behaviour policy, a headteacher takes the decision to exclude a pupil, either for a fixed period or permanently.
Fixed period exclusion
- Fixed period exclusion is a response to a breach or breaches of the school’s behaviour policy, including persistent disruptive behaviour.
- If a child receives a fixed period exclusion they will be told not to come into school for a certain number of days, not exceeding a total of 45 school days in a school year.
- The school remains responsible for a child's education from days 1-5 of the exclusion, and should send work home to be completed.
- Children should not be found in a public place in school hours during this period without reasonable justification.
- The school will make arrangements to provide full-time education for a pupil excluded over five days.
- The decision to exclude a pupil permanently should only be taken:
- In response to a serious breach of the school’s behaviour policy; and
- If allowing the pupil to remain in school would seriously harm the education or welfare of the pupil or others in the school.
- If your child receives a permanent exclusion, they will not be able to return to that school again, although your child is entitled to an independent appeal.
- The school remains responsible for a child's education from days 1-5 of the exclusion.
- If your child is permanently excluded from school, the council will make arrangements for full time education to start by the sixth day of the exclusion.
Support and advice regarding exclusions
If you have any queries regarding exclusions and have already spoken with your child’s school, please email us or call 01925 442928 or
Visit the GOV.UK website for guidance on exclusions.