Who is eligible?

All state funded infant school children, from reception to year two, receive a free school lunch.

Your child may be eligible for free school meals outside of infant school if you receive certain benefits.

Foster carers are not entitled to claim free school meals as the fostering allowance includes funds to pay for school meals.

From 1 April 2018, changes have been introduced by central government. During the rollout of these changes, any child with an existing entitlement to free school meals will continue to receive free school meals until the rollout is completed. The rollout is scheduled to end on 31 March 2025.

New free school meal claimants from the 1 April 2018 will also be entitled until the end of the Universal Credit rollout period.

Once Universal Credit is fully rolled out, the child will keep their free school meal until the end of their current phase of education, i.e. primary or secondary.

How to apply

You can apply by using the free school meals application form.

Alternatively, ask for a paper copy from your child’s school or email schooladmissions@warrington.gov.uk for a form to be posted to your home address.

Please note that "no recourse to public funds" (NRPF) applicants are required to use the form below.

Transferring from primary school to high school 

If the student was entitled to free school meals in year 6, you don't need to complete a form and your entitlement will continue.

Transferring from high school to sixth form or college

If the student was entitled to free school meals in year 11, and is moving to a sixth form attached to a school, you do not need to complete a form and your entitlement will continue.

Students who are attending a sixth form college that is not attached to a school should visit the college website directly for more information about free school meal provision.

No recourse to public funds (NRPF)

Free school meal eligibility has now been permanently extended to children in all households with no recourse to public funds (NRPF), subject to maximum income thresholds and savings.

You can apply by completing the application form

Household support fund

We have information on the Household support fund that supports the most in need of our residents across 3 specific sectors of society;

  1. Parents with children
  2. Those individuals on the lowest of incomes
  3. Pensioners within our community
15 August 2023