You may be able to get a 50% discount on your council tax if you have to live in a second home because of your job.

There must be a direct link between your work and the property. Some examples include caretakers, pub landlords and schoolmasters.

It might say in your contract that you must live there, you might have a job where it’s normal for your employer to provide accommodation, or you might be required to carry out a trade or profession at the address.

You can't claim a discount if:

  • you have a second property in the area where you work, but you don’t perform the duties of your employment from that address
  • one or both of the properties are outside England, Wales or Scotland
  • you are not the liable person for council tax at both properties (unless the property is for a minister of religion, or is provided by the Ministry of Defence)
  • you are a director or a partner in the company providing the accommodation - unless you’re a full-time working director/partner, or it’s a charity or non-profit organisation

You will need

  • to tell us the duties of your employment, and why you must live in the second property to perform these duties.

In some cases we may need to establish which address is your main residence and which is your second home. If so, we'll send you a 'sole or main residence questionnaire'.

Please have your council tax account number to hand before starting your application

Apply for a job related home discount