You can be exempt from council tax on a property where occupation is forbidden by law.

This includes homes which are:

  • Unfit for human habitation (by the council's Environmental Services)
  • Subject to planning restrictions which prohibit occupation
  • Subject to demolition orders
  • Subject to compulsory purchase orders

There is no time limit to this exemption

If the property becomes illegally inhabited, e.g. by squatters, then the squatters will be liable to pay council tax.

To register for an exemption

Please email us at and provide:

  • The address of the property
  • The name and contact details of the owner of the property
  • The date the property became exempt and some information as to why
  • A copy of the prohibition, demolition or purchase order (whichever is applicable as outlined above)