A property is exempt from council tax if it has been repossessed by a mortgage lender, and is unoccupied.

The exemption starts on the date of the repossession and stops when the property is sold, or when the mortgage lender's possession is terminated. A repossession order must have been issued, we can’t grant an exemption if the person who took out the mortgage simply abandons the property. If someone still lives there, council tax must be paid. It remains the responsibility of the person who took out the mortgage to pay the council tax, even after a repossession order. 


You will need to provide us with:

  • The council tax account number
  • The name and contact information of the mortgage lender who has repossessed the home
  • The date the home became repossessed
  • A copy of the repossession order, or a letter from the mortgage lender confirming the repossession date