If someone in your household is under 20 years old and has just left education, you may be entitled to a discount on your council tax:

For the purposes of council tax, a 'school leaver' is:

  • A person under the age of 20 who has left school, college or full time education on or after 1 May in any year.  The person must have undertaken a qualifying course of education, no higher than A-level or equivalent.  A discount may then be given until 31 October of that same year.
  • A person aged 18, for whom someone is receiving child benefit.  You will need to bring in or send us a photocopy of the letter from HMRC which confirms who you are in receipt of child benefit for. The council tax discount will stop on the day that your child benefit stops for the school leaver in question.

Student  disregard discount

School and college leavers continue to be disregarded for council tax if they go on to some other form of higher education.

Other discounts

There are a range of discounts for students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training schemes