If you already pay by Direct Debit
If you paid your council tax by direct debit last year, you don’t need to set up a new one unless your bank details have changed. Your payments will be taken automatically, on the dates shown on your bill.
Set up a new Direct Debit
You will need to set up a new direct debit if:
- someone has moved in or out of your property and you’ve been given a new council tax account number
- you’ve changed your bank details
- you’ve had to cancel your previous direct debit for any reason
- you’ve previously paid your council tax using a different method
You’ll need to quote your council tax account number.
Direct Debit instalments
You will usually pay in 10 monthly instalments, from April to January.
If you move home part way through the year, your payments will usually be spread out over the remaining months of the financial year.
Or you can pay:
- in 12 monthly instalments
- in two six-month instalments
- in one instalment, paying for the whole year in one go
If you want to choose one of these options you must contact us before 15 April, and we must receive your first payment by the date shown on your bill.
Direct Debit payment dates
You can choose to pay on either the 5th, 10th, 20th or 30th of the month.
Change your bank details
If you already have a direct debit set up and you change your bank details, you’ll need to set up a new direct debit.