If you are a permanent resident in Warrington of state pension age you can apply for one travel concession, either an older person’s bus pass OR a senior railcard. We are only able to issue you with one or the other.

If you would like both, you can apply for an older person's bus pass from us and purchase a Senior Railcard from National Rail, please see their website for more information

Bus passes are issued free of charge and are valid for five years. When we've received your completed application and supporting information, if you qualify, your pass will be posted to your home address. Once ordered, please allow 21 days for the pass to arrive. If you have been waiting for more than 21 days please contact us promptly.

Step 1 – check if you’re eligible

Check your State Pension age on the GOV.UK website

Step 2 – check what you need before you apply

You will need to provide:

  • passport-style photograph of yourself (taken within the last month)
  • proof of address - such as your driving licence, benefit award/pension letter, or we can check our records (we don’t accept utility bills, bank statements or tenancy agreements)
  • proof of identity - such as your driving licence, passport, birth or adoption certificate, marriage or civil partnership certificate, or deed poll certificate

You’ll need to have a photo of each of these, or have them scanned onto your computer, phone or tablet, so that you can upload them to your online application form.

If you’re unable to upload your documents to your application, please email them to the concessionary travel team or post to:

Concessionary Travel Team, East Annexe, Town Hall, Sankey Street, Warrington WA1 1UH.

Step 3 - apply

Apply for an older person's bus pass online


Renew or update your bus pass

You'll receive a letter approximately six weeks before the expiry date of your pass. This will have a unique renewal code which you will need with your existing bus pass number. If your details are the same, you can renew your bus pass online

Renew your bus pass


If your details have changed, don’t renew your pass; tell us your new details so we can update them and order the pass for you.

Update your bus pass

Replace a lost, damaged or stolen bus pass

If your bus pass is lost or damaged, you can apply for a replacement.

A replacement bus pass costs £10. You’ll be asked to pay when you submit your application; please make sure you have a debit or credit card ready to make the payment. Card payments will appear on your bank statement as ‘WBC MV Internet’ followed by the amount paid.

If you find your lost bus pass before you receive your new one, we can’t give you a refund. Please return the found pass to us for secure disposal.

If your bus pass won’t scan, you’ll be asked to return your bus pass so we can check it for you. If there's no clear or obvious damage to the pass we'll arrange for a replacement free of charge. If the pass is damaged, a replacement bus pass costs £10.

If your bus pass is stolen, we’ll arrange a replacement free of charge. You’ll be asked for your crime reference & police force it was reported to.

Apply for a replacement bus pass

Moving in or out of Warrington

If you move to Warrington and have a bus pass from another Council, please return it to them, you can then apply to us for a new pass. If you're moving out of Warrington please return your pass to us and apply to your new Council.

Where and when you can travel

Bus pass holders can travel for free on journeys in Warrington, Halton and Cheshire West & Chester during the following times (you can travel into Wales providing your journey starts in the Cheshire West and Chester area):

  • Monday to Friday, after 9.30am until the last bus
  • Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays, anytime

Travel outside of Warrington, Halton and Cheshire West and Chester is free during the following times:

  • Monday - Friday,  9.30am - 11pm
  • At all times, on a Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays. 

Full fare applies at all other times.

Bus Passes issued by Warrington Borough Council aren't valid for use on trains, trams, underground services, tours/excursions, sightseeing buses or National Express coaches

Cheshire consortium concessionary travel scheme

Problems applying? 

If you have any problems applying for a Senior Rail Card/Older Persons Bus Pass please email our team concessionarytravel@warrington.gov.uk so that we can help.